McKay K-8 School
At the McKay School, “We Expect Your Best.”
The McKay School staff believes, “Our students will learn through expert instruction. We are collectively responsible for the education of our students and will collaborate in a supportive environment to ensure all students succeed.”
McKay School students are expected to uphold the McKay School’s anchor values of Respect, Effort, and Responsibility.
The McKay is a SIOP (Sheltered Instruction Observational Protocol) school. We implement high-quality differentiation strategies for all students, including English Language Learners and Students receiving Special Education services.
As a K-8 school, we actively work on aligning school curriculum across all grade-levels and content areas. Our students participate in thematically planned units designed to meet the needs of every child. Our expert staff supports students throughout all phases of their development, ensuring student leave the McKay School prepared for high school and beyond.
Our core academic program is enhanced by certified interventionists in literacy and math. Students’ academic experiences are enhanced through participation in art, music, computer, physical education, and academic enrichment classes.
Students are empowered to become school leaders through the McKay School’s student government . Students play an active role in helping school leaders make important decisions affecting the McKay School community. Students are also frequently recognized for their contributions to the school through the Flying Cloud student recognition program.
• Brand-new. state-of-the art Macintosh computer lab along with Chromebooks
• A thriving Student Support Team designed to meet the needs of the whole child – academic, social, emotional, and behavioral
• Full-time bilingual clinician
• Tech Goes Home: students and parents take computer classes together and can buy a refurbished computer at very low cost at the end of the program
• Fresh Fruit and Vegetable program providing all students with healthy snacks
• English as a Second Language after school and family literacy programs
Special academic programs:
• Special education programs that aim to include students in general education classrooms
• Spanish Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) program in K2 through grade 5
• Pre-AP program in middle school English, math, and science
• America SCORES Boston (soccer and literacy), Boston Bikes, Boston Celtics, Boston Institute of Psychotherapy (BIP), Boston Partners in Education, Connecting with Care (school counseling), East Boston Neighborhood Health Center, Mass Insight (Pre-AP program), Piers Park, Project for School Innovation, Steppingstone College Success Academy, UMass Boston, YMCA
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school: Breakfast available for students at 7:45
• After school: YMCA for all students; fee.
America SCORES Boston soccer in grades 3-8
Steppingstone College Success Academy for students in grades 4 and 5
After school tutoring with licensed teachers