The Mattahunt School is organized for students’ success. We offer strategic interventions that are driven by data collected every 6 weeks after instruction.
To support our positive culture and climate, our entire school has a robust behavior management system that allows students to track behaviors and ‘cash in’ positive outcomes at our school store; we’ve had educators from outside the country come to visit to learn more about this initiative.
Read Boston and Barnes & Noble support our literacy efforts by providing reading materials and activities. Our MBA program meets on Saturdays for 4th and 5th grade boys. We have a special partnership with City Year to provide support for our students in grades 3-5.
What makes our school special:
• Focused Interventions for reading and math proficiency
• Parent Center, an active School Parent Council and School Site Council, and parent volunteers
• State of the art library with a media center
• Outdoor science in the urban wild wetlands
• Nature’s Classroom
• Internet access in the computer lab, classrooms, and our large, attractive, state-of-the-art, fully stocked library
• Theatre arts program
• Open Circle social competency program
• Weekly gym classes, plus adaptive physical education and swimming classes
• Purple Star behavior management system, providing incentives to encourage positive behavior
• Facilities: library, playground, athletic field, pool, computer lab, art room, gymnasium
* K-8 Pathway: Mattahunt 5th graders are guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Mildred Avenue School.
Special academic programs:
• Early Childhood programs
• Autism program
• Multilingual Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) program
• BELL Foundation, Reebok, CityYear, Boston Celtics, Colorado Street Citizen Group, Mattapan Community Heath Center, Mattapan Library, Student Conservation Association (SCA), Wheelock College Partnership, Wheelock Family Theatre, Wheelock Upward Bound/Eagle Program.
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school: Program with City Year and Reebok BOKS fitness.
• After school: BELL Foundation tutoring, PACE (Partnerships, Academics, Community, Excellence), and Mattahunt Community Center (a Mattahunt/Wheelock partnership