Mattahunt Elementary School
The Mattahunt School is organized for students’ success. We offer strategic interventions that are driven by data collected every 6 weeks after instruction.
To support our positive culture and climate, our entire school uses a behavior management system called the Nurtured Heart Approach. This is a set of strategies that sets clear limits, builds richer relationships, and inspires appropriate behaviors by energizing children when things are “going right.”
Read Boston and Celtics Read to Achieve support our home reading literacy efforts by providing reading materials and activities. We have a special partnership with City Year to support our students in grades 3-5. City Year also supports our family and community efforts.
• Focused interventions for reading and math proficiency for 30 minutes each day
• Parent Center, an active School Parent Council and School Site Council, and parent volunteers
• School library with a media center
• Internet access throughout the school
• Theatre arts, music, dance, and visual arts program
• Focus on social and emotional learning
• Weekly gym classes , plus adaptive physical education and swimming classes
• Organized recess with Playworks as well as regular classroom cooperative learning games
• Purple Star behavior management system, providing incentives to encourage positive behavior
• Facilities: library, playground, athletic field, pool, computer lab, art room, gymnasium
* K-8 Pathway: Guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Mildred Avenue School.
Special academic programs:
• Early Childhood programs
• Autism program
• Multilingual Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) program
• Mattahunt Community Center, BELL Foundation, Reebok, City Year, Boston Celtics, Colorado Street Citizen Group, Mattapan Community Heath Center, Mattapan Library, Student Conservation Association (SCA), Wheelock College Partnership, Wheelock Family Theatre, Wheelock Upward Bound/Eagle Program, Boston Police Department, and Playworks Boston
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school: Program with City Year and Reebok BOKS fitness.
• After school: BELL Foundation tutoring, PACE (Partnerships, Academics, Community, Excellence), and Mattahunt Community Center (a Mattahunt/Wheelock partnership)