The Mattahunt School is organized for students’ success. We offer strategic interventions that are driven by data collected every 6 weeks. To support our positive culture and climate, our entire school uses a behavior management system called the Nurtured Heart Approach. This approach inspires appropriate behaviors by energizing children when things are “going right” and setting clear limits.
Read Boston and the Celtics Read to Achieve support our home reading literacy efforts by providing reading materials and activities. We have a special partnership with City Year to provide support for our students in grades 3-5. City Year also supports our family and community efforts.
- Focused interventions for reading and math proficiency
- After school programs that focus on helping students to improve reading, writing, and math; and a home reading program
- Parent Center, an active School Parent Council and School Site Council, and parent volunteers
- Outdoor science in the urban wild wetlands
- Nature’s Classroom
- Internet access in the computer lab and classrooms
- Visual arts and music programs
- Purple Star behavior management system, providing incentives to encourage positive behavior
- A large, modern building with a swimming pool, gym, and two playgrounds
- Swimming pool
- Guaranteed assignment to the Mildred Avenue School.
Special academic programs
- Early Childhood programs
- Autism program
- Multilingual Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) program
- CityYear, Boston Celtics, Colorado Street Citizen Group, Mattapan Community Heath Center, Mattapan Library, Student Conservation Association (SCA), Wheelock College, Wheelock Family Theatre, Wheelock Upward Bound/Eagle Program
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school: Program with City Year and Reebok BOKS fitness.
- After school: BELL Foundation tutoring for grades 2-3, Mattahunt STAR program for K2-grade 1, and Wheelock Community Center for grades 3-5