Kenny Elementary School
The Kenny School understands the needs of the multicultural learning community. We have dedicated ESL (English as a Second Language) teachers. A small learning environment enables us to build strong relationships.
We use new, project-based reading units, Readers’ and Writers’ Workshop, and the Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) model (for English language learners) to teach English language arts. Our students show strong growth in reading and math as measured on MCAS.
The Kenny offers many opportunities for children to be su ccessful, especially in the areas of music/instrument lessons, technology, the arts, dance, and community services. We are currently the only elementary school that has a marching band, and we are invited to march in five parades a year. We also have a schoolwide dance performance at the Strand Theater in June.
We have earned accreditation from National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) for our early childhood programs.
• Early childhood play groups and kindergarten program accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
• Music, art, science, dance and gym
• Kenny School Marching Band, participating in multiple events each year
• BalletRox dance classes and scholarships
• Farm for City Kids: students spend a week on a farm
• Playworks, a program that improves school climate, reduces bullying and increases student engagement in school through play and physical activity
• Generations tutoring
• Facilities: Schoolyard, music room, gymnasium, dance room and cafeteria
* K-8 Pathway: Kenny 5th graders are guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Mildred Avenue School.
• Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) multilingual classrooms in Haitian creole and Vietnamese, K2-grade 5
• Ballet Rox Dance Company, BELL Foundation, Longy School of Music, UMass Boston, Eastern Nazarene College, Farm for City Kids, Generations, Open Circle, Home for Little Wanderers counseling, Pierce House (historic house museum), Boston Children’s Museum, ReadBoston, UMass Nutrition Program, Smart Smiles, Conservatory Lab Charter School
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school , 8:15-9:20 am: $40 per month
• After school, Monday-Thursday: 3-hour tutorial in reading, writing and math from BELL Foundation. The program is free and runs from November 1 until April 1.