The Kenny School understands the needs of the multicultural learning community. We have dedicated ESL (English as a Second Language) teachers. A small learning environment enables us to build strong relationships.
The Reading Street curriculum, Readers’ and Writers’ Workshop, and the Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) model (for English language learners) are used for teaching English language arts. Our students show strong growth in reading and math as measured on MCAS.
The Kenny offers many opportunities for children to be successful, especially in the areas of music/instrument lessons, technology, the arts, world language studies, dance, and community services.
We are currently the only elementary school that has a marching band, and we are invited to march in five parades a year. We also have a schoolwide dance performance at the Strand Theater in June.
We have earned accreditation from National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) for our early childhood programs.
What makes our school special:
• Early childhood playgroups and kindergarten program accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
• Music, art, science, dance and gym
• Kenny School Marching Band, winner of a VH1 Instrumental Band grant for free band instruction and free use of instruments
• BalletRox dance classes and scholarships
• Farm for City Kids: students spend a week on a farm
• Urban Improv and Playworks
• Generations tutoring
• Facilities: playground, science lab, music room, gymnasium, cafeteria
* K-8 Pathway: Kenny 5th graders are guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Mildred Avenue School.
• Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) classrooms in Haitian creole and Vietnamese, K2-grade 5
• Ballet Rox Dance Company, BELL Foundation, Berklee College of Music, UMass Boston, Farm for City Kids, Franklin Park Zoo, Generations, Peace Games, Home for Little Wanderers counseling, Pierce House (historic house museum), Boston Children’s Museum, ReadBoston, UMass Nutrition Program, Urban Improv, Whittier Street Health Center
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school , 8:15-9:20 am: $40 per month
• After school, Monday-Thursday: 3-hour tutorial in reading, writing and math from BELL Foundation. The program is free and runs from November 1 until April 1.