Washington Irving Middle School
The Irving Middle School teaches students how to work together and how to find their individual voice. We explicitly teach students the values embodied in our WARRIOR mascot (Willpower, Awareness, Readiness, Responsibility, Integrity, Openness, Respect) and re-inforce their development of these values through a merit system that recognizes acts that support the values.
We prepare our students for educational success by providing coherent instruction in organization, giving them rigorous intellectual tasks to complete, and nurturing their compassion and sensitivity to the world around them. We use the AVID program to teach our students how to complete their classwork and homework efficiently.
We use the arts to develop students’ individual voices in drama, dance, and visual arts. Students sample the arts in sixth grade and then select a major which they focus upon for seventh and eighth grades.
- Students clustered by grade level
- High expectations for all students: Resource students are fully mainstreamed with additional academic support in math and literacy
- Extended learning time until 2:05 for all students
- Additional intervention blocks in reading, writing and math to ensure that all students, soaring and struggling, reach their potential
- Strong visual arts program
- City Year and Alliance for Inclusion and Prevention Program extended day programming
- Teachers meet weekly with parents and collaborate on their own teaching three times a week
- Safe school environment
Special academic programs:
- Guaranteed admission to grade 6 for students who attend the Bates, Channing, Chittick, Conley, Grew, Mozart, Philbrick, and Sumner schools
- Advanced Work Classes for eligible students in grade 6
- AVID college readiness program
After school programs in our building:
- Alliance for Inclusion & Prevention, Citizens School, Connecting With Care, City Year, America SCORES soccer, Olweus Anti-Bullying Program, Roslindale Community Center, Eliot School (crafts and fine arts).
- Partnerships with City Year and AIP