The Irving Middle School teaches students how to work together and how to find their individual voice. We explicitly teach students the values embodied in our WARRIOR mascot (Willpower, Awareness, Readiness, Responsibility, Integrity, Openness, Respect) and re-inforce their development of these values through a merit system that recognizes acts that support the values.
We prepare our students for educational success by providing coherent instruction in organization, giving them rigorous intellectual tasks to complete, and nurturing their compassion and sensitivity to the world around them. We use the AVID program to teach our students how to complete their classwork and homework efficiently.
We use the arts to develop students’ individual voices in drama, dance, and visual arts. Students sample the arts in sixth grade and then select a major which they focus upon for seventh and eight grades.
Our extended day allows us to keep students focused upon rigorous achievement while giving them the support they need to succeed.
Finally, our anti-bullying program ensures that students and staff work together for the safety of the students.
What makes our school special:
• Students clustered by house
• High expectations for all students
• Resource students fully mainstreamed with added academic support in math and literacy learning center.
• Additional intervention blocks in reading, writing and math to ensure that all students, both soaring and struggling, reach their potential
• Arts focus that enables students to take dance, visual art, and drama
• Citizen Schools, City Year, and Alliance for Inclusion and Prevention Program extended day programming.
• Weekly meetings when teachers can plan together and meet with parents
• Safe and orderly school environment
* K-8 Pathway: Priority admission to grade 6 for students who attend the Bates, Conley, Mozart, Philbrick, and Sumner.
Special academic programs:
• Advanced Work Classes for eligible students in grade 6
• AVID college readiness program
• Alliance for Inclusion & Prevention, Citizens School, Connecting With Care, City Year, America SCORES soccer, Olweus Anti-Bullying Program, Roslindale Community Center, Boston Ballet, Tech Goes Home, Eliot School (crafts and fine arts).
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Extended day to 4:15 Monday-Thursday for all students, with academic enrichment and challenging activities provided by our teachers and school partners