The Hurley School, located in Boston’s South End, is one of only four Spanish/English dual immersion K-8 schools in Boston. A dual language education is an enriched education. We challenge students to learn in two languages from the first day of school. This is why the majority of our third graders qualify for Advanced Work Class (AWC), and many 6th graders gain admission to one of the district’s exam schools.
The Hurley offers mentoring, enrichment activities and intensive academic support to those needing help. Our enrichment activities include choral music instruction, visual arts, theater arts, robotics, Project Alerta, soccer, and basketball.
Admissions to grades 3-8: Parents of students applying to grade 3 and up must schedule a language test for their child in English and in Spanish with the school once we determine that there is space in the requested grade. Only those students meeting our language criteria will be admitted.
What makes our school special:
• A Spanish-English dual language school: Students applying for grades 3-8 must attend an orientation with their families, participate in an informal interview, and take a language proficiency assessment in Spanish and English to determine their ability to succeed in the dual language program
• Committed to graduating students who perform at the proficient or advanced academic levels in two languages
• Strong focus on the arts, includes partnering with Urban Voices, Community Music Center of Boston, the New England Conservatory, and the Museum of Fine Arts
• Robotics lab, gymnasium and cafeteria
• New soccer field
• Fully automated bilingual school library (English and Spanish)
• Annual field day, movie nights, harvest festival, and family “fiestas”
• Strong parent support
Special academic programs:
• Dual language program for all studenrs
• Museum of Fine Arts, YMCA, Coyote Theater, Big Sister, Neighborhood Parents for the Hurley, New England Conservatory of Music, Project Alerta, Strong Women, Strong Girls, Urban Voices
Before and after school programs in our building:
• After school, 2:30- 6:00 pm: The YMCA partners with the Hurley to offer “Bodega de Arte,” our own after school program. Students receive the opportunity to work with the Museum of Fine Arts, Robotics, Project Alerta, Playworks, and others. The cost is based on income and vouchers are accepted from those families who qualify. Transportation is not provided.