Educational success for all students is a fundamental belief at the Horace Mann School. We focus on developing language and math skills, making sure students are on track by frequent assessments as well as by looking at their work on an ongoing basis.
In other areas, such as science and social studies, teachers have identified powerful literacy strategies to incorporate into their lessons. As a result, students read and write extensively in all classrooms.
Counseling, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy and auditory training are available as needed. Student support and family services as well as partnerships with agencies serving the deaf are a strong component of the school. Students also benefit from after school tutorial programs, athletics, and career/technical services. A strong transition emphasis to either college or career begins in middle school.
What makes our school special:
- Premier school for the deaf with historical distinction
- Individualized, personalized clinical and academic services for deaf and hard of hearing students in pre-school through high school
- Services for children with Cochlear implant technology. Mass. General Hospital pediatrician residency site
- Audiological and speech/language therapy
- American Sign Language (ASL) instruction, voice with sign support, and oral only instruction
- Connection Team psychological, social, clinical, and diagnostic services
- Parent/infant outreach program for deaf and hard of hearing
- Award winning staff, including Principal of the Year Ambassador in Education award from Met Life/ National Civic League, 2006, and a Shattuck Award honoring outstanding service by a city employee
- Widescreen Internet and digital video emergency communications system in eight central locations throughout the school.
- J. M. Smith Health Center medical doctor and registered nurse on campus part-time
- Internship and clinical site for 25 graduate students from Boston University, Boston College, Lesley University, Emerson College, Harvard University, McDaniel College in Maryland, and San Diego State University in California
Special academic programs
- Comprehensive program for students with an Individualized Education Program who are deaf and hard of hearing
- AIIM-International, Fidelity, ImageMax DataMax, Mass. Housing, Mellon Bank CORE, and IKON