Thursday, December 5, 2013
Holmes Elementary School
40 School StreetDorchester, MA 02124
- A model school that fully includes students with disabilities in all classes
- Small class size of 15–18 students
- Computers in every classroom
- Science lab and auditorium/gym
- Strong music program, with band and chorus, and a grant from VH1 “Save the Music”
- A National Board certified teacher (tops in the teaching profession)
- Grant from VSA arts of Mass. to support creative activities for students with and without disabilities
- Volunteers from Federal Reserve Bank and Milton Academy
- 21st Century Learning grant for after school academic support and enrichment
- Playworks, providing safe, healthy play and physical activity at recess and throughout the entire school day
- Additional partnerships: Boston Nature Center, Discovering Justice, Peace First, and Wheelock College.
- This school is a member of the Boston Inclusive Schools Network.
The network links together the BPS schools offering and developing expanded inclusive opportunities for students with disabilities with technical assistance and support from Urban Special Education Leadership Collaborative at Education Development Center in Waltham.