Hernández K-8 School
The Hernández School is a preK-grade 8 dual language school where all students learn in both Spanish and English. Our student/teacher ratio is 25:2. While learning in both languages, students engage in project-based learning experiences related to an overall theme. Students have a working knowledge of the concepts because they spend their time doing hands-on projects integrating all subject areas. Creative arts are also integrated throughout the curriculum.
Special admission process for students applying for grades 3-8:
Once it is determined how many seats are available, the school’s Community Field Coordinator will contact you in the order your student’s name appears on the waiting list. The student will take a writing and reading comprehension test (Spanish and English) to determine his or her ability to work in both languages. If the student meets the criteria, he or she will be assigned to the available seat.
• Dual language: all students learn in both English and Spanish
• Discovery school status: autonomy with curriculum and instruction
• Arts focus: partnerships with the Museum of Fine Arts Boston and the Institute of Contemporary Art
• Project based learning and field trips
• Home visits
• Renovated auditorium, gymnasium, and kitchen
• Computer lab
• Counseling available for students through Boston Institute for Psychotherapy
Special academic programs:
• Two-way, dual language program, English and Spanish
• Friends of the Rafael Hernández, Inc., Institute of Contemporary Art, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Museum of Fine Arts, Massachusetts College of Art and Design, UMass Boston, Wellesley College, 826 Boston (support for writing skills), Teach for America, Harvard University, and Boston Institute for Psychotherapy.
Before and after school programs in our building:
• After school: Monday-Friday, 2:30–6:00 p.m. Open to all Hernández students (K1-8). The key components include: homework support, snack, specialty programs and field trips, and family engagement. Our current specialty programs include: African dance and drumming; America SCORES soccer and writing; arts; Debate Mate; Harvard STAGE; hip hop; hydroponics; Jumpstart; martial arts; Peace Through Play; robotics; Sole Train; Strong Women, Strong Girls, Juntas Crecemos Fuerte, and yoga. The regular rate is $230 a month; partial scholarships available; vouchers accepted.