The Harvard/Kent Elementary School welcomes all students and families to a safe and rigorous learning environment where we show our PRIDE in work and everything we do! Our students demonstrate Purpose, Responsibility, Individuality, Determination, and Engagement. We expect all of our students to read, write, become proficient in math, create meaningful art, and participate in activities. We believe all students can learn, and we support students in their goals to become great citizens.
Educational success depends on dedicated teachers, paraproprofessionals, and school staff. We have a terrific staff. Many of our teachers teach in our after school tutoring programs in math and reading. All teachers focus on professional development opportunities that enable them to meet the needs of all students.
Our school is well cared for by all students and staff. Our classrooms are large and bright. We have a great gymnasium and schoolyard, including a new outdoor classroom.
What makes our school special:
• Strong academic program in literacy, math, social studies
• An award-winning staff, well qualified teaching team
• Consistent growth on MCAS assessments — particularly in math
• Harvard/Kent Leadership Scholarship program, offering $1000 college scholarships to six student leaders each school year
• Summer partnership with Courageous Sailing and the USS Constitution Museum
• Great educational events for families, including Bedtime Story Night and our Family Health Fair
• ReadBoston to help younger students become stronger readers
• Spacious classrooms and library, a great gymnasium and computer labs.
• Focus on results
• Academic support programs before and after school
• On-site school and adjustment counseling for students
* K-8 Pathway: Harvard/Kent 5th graders are guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Edwards Middle School.
Special academic programs:
• Special education programs: emotional empairment and learning disabilities
• Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) for English language learners (Chinese)
• Big Brother Big Sister, Courageous Sailing, Boat Building, Charlestown YMCA, Harvard/Kent Leadership Scholarship, MGH Health Careers Institute, Museum of Science, New England Aquarium, Read Boston, USS Constitution Museum.
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school, 7:45 - 9:10 am: Program for ages 5-12 with light tutorial work and activities to get ready for school; $25 per week.
Specialized reading instruction; K2-grade 5, 8 week sessions for struggling readers.
• After school: Math program for grade 3-5; enrichment and recreation activities such as swimming, double-dutch, and basketball.
K1-K2 after school program, $10 per week.