The Harbor School’s rigorous course design is based on the most contemporary research and standards based curriculum. We have the most up-to-date textbooks in all subject areas plus state of the art technology, with a thirty-seat computer room, three MacBook lap top class carts, science research laboratories, and a full multimedia library.
At the Harbor School, students learn to work together and to take responsibility for each other’s learning. We are a full inclusion school, providing each student with the individualized instruction and technologies to meet their learning needs. This model is supported by our strong partnership with the Dr. William Henderson Inclusion Elementary School and Harbor High School.
Harbor School students are taught to work collaboratively through inquiry-based learning. Through guided practice, students learn to interact effectively and to take responsibility for each other’s learning while engaged in higher order thinking skills.
We use an RTI (Response to Intervention) three-tier model while differentiating instruction, as well as using adaptive technologies for all students according to their individual student data profiles.
New for the 2014-15 school year: The Harbor is joining with the highly-successful Henderson Elementary School to become the Henderson K-12 Inclusion School, the first K-12 fully inclusive school in Massachusetts! Learn more in the Dorchester Reporter.
What makes our school special:
• Extended school day
• Small class size (average class size is 22 students)
• Rigorous, standards based instruction
• Vibrant after-school programming
• State of the art technology in every classroom
• Unparalled parent involvement
• Distinctive partnerships with local colleges such as UMass Boston
• Collaboration and partnership with Dr. Henderson Inclusion Elementary School and Harbor High School
• The most up-to-date textbooks and supplementary materials
• Student support services
• Data-driven instructional model
• Facilities: auditorium, library, science lab, music and art rooms, gymnasium
* K-12 Pathway: Guaranteed assignment to Harbor Middle School grade 6 for students from the Henderson and Mather; guaranteed assignment to Harbor High School for Harbor Middle School students.
Special academic programs:
• AVID college readiness program
• Full inclusion school: general education and special education students learn together with individualized supports
• Arbour Counseling, Best Buddies, City Year, Dotwell, Henderson Inclusion Elementary School, Harbor High School, Outward Bound-Thompson Island, Berklee College, UMass Boston, Very Special Arts of Massachusetts, Museum of Fine Arts Boston
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school: supervised breakfast from 7:15-7:30.
• After school: sports, enrichment clubs, and academic support, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 3:05-4:05 pm available to all students.
Homework help provided to students free from our City Year team four days a week.