Our PRIDE program teaches values and reinforces good citizenship, hard work, and civility.
Our technology lab, with brand-new Mac desktop computers, is the central focus of our robotics and engineering program in which students create robots, cars, and other machines to learn about engineering.
Finally, parents receive detailed reports every two months with information about their children’s performance, allowing families to better help their children succeed. We still issue report cards, but the reports provide more useful information.
We provide consistent approaches for the teaching of literacy, mathematics and science. This is reinforced by providing students with the help they need to improve. We keep parents informed regarding their children’s progress through one-on-one conferences, skill reports, progress reports and parent nights. The Instructional Leadership Team monitors implementation of the BPS standards and student achievement.
What makes our school special:
• A “dual language” school, offering students the opportunity to learn in Spanish and English
• Engineering/robotics based learning
• Data-driven instruction
• Student Support Team
• Extended-day tutoring programs for students, including BOK fitness
• Winner of the first Thomas W. Payzant “School on the Move” Prize from EdVestors, 2006
• Named a Commonwealth COMPASS School by the Mass. Department of Education, 2005
• Named a Title I Distinguished School, 2005
• Stay In School program with the Boston Celtics
• T3 teacher leaders, who serve in a variety of leadership roles that support the work of all teachers in the school to significantly increase student achievement
• City Connects, a project of Boston College that identifies the strengths and needs of every student and connects each child to a individualized services in the school and community
Special academic programs:
• Dual language instruction, Spanish/English
• Advisory Group, Franciscan Hospital, PlayBall - for softball, volleyball, soccer and double dutch, Sportsmen Tennis Enrichment Club, PEAR/RALLY, City Connects, Time Collaborative, Legal Sea Food, BOKS fitness program, Generations
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school: extended learning opportunities for students; BOKS Kidz before school fitness program for student in elementary school
• After school: Academic support, UMass Boston ALERTA program, soccer, volleyball, baseball, double dutch and track; extended learning program for grade 3 on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and looking to expand for all grades in 2014-2015.