Sarah Greenwood K-8 School
The Sarah Greenwood School is a respectful, responsible, and caring community of students, families, staff and partners. We strive to be progressive learners and leaders who believe that every child has the right to a bilingual, bi-literate, and multicultural education that prepares students for academic, social and emotional success in high school, college, and beyond thereby cultivating engaged and responsible citizens.
We accomplish our mission in a number of ways. To create a strong community, we highlight six expectations that we teach, revisit, reward, and make the centerpiece of our school community. To reinforce the values and expectations on a daily basis, all staff in all grades use the same behavior tracker.
To engage our students to be bilingual, our school is dual language through grade three, adding one year at a time.
In regard to the last part of the mission statement about preparing students, we add one additional hour of instruction that give students the opportunity to have enrichment opportunities such as music, dance, social skills groups and sports, but also academic intervention and acceleration in small groups as a way to catch up those who are behind and push further those who are ahead.
Special academic programs:
- A “dual language” school, offering students the opportunity to learn in Spanish and English
- Boston Arts Academy enrichment
- Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts
- Winner of the first Thomas W. Payzant “School on the Move” Prize from EdVestors, 2006
- Named a Commonwealth COMPASS School by the Mass. Department of Education, 2005
- Named a Title I Distinguished School, 2005
- Stay In School program with the Boston Celtics
- New library
- City Connects, a project of Boston College that identifies the strengths and needs of every student and connects each child to a individualized services in the school and community
- Dual language instruction, Spanish/English
Before and after school programs in our building:
- School Advisory Group, Franciscan Hospital, Sportsmen’s Tennis & Enrichment Club, PEAR/RALLY, City Connects, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, Strong Women Strong Girls
- Before school: BOKS Kidz fitness program for K-grade 5, and Playworks for K1- grade 8
- After school: Play Ball for grades 6-8 with volleyball, baseball, double dutch and track.