Gardner Pilot Academy
Gardner Pilot Academy (GPA) educates the minds and develops the character of all students in partnership with families and community to ensure all children become socially responsible and achieve academic excellence. The Gardner is committed to providing high quality teaching and learning for all students along with meaningful enrichment opportunities through strong community partnerships. This year, we are proud to offer after-school, adult education, health services, counseling services, tutoring/mentoring, and character education to our students and families.
GPA currently offers an inclusion model to support all of our students in a very low student to teacher ratio with most classes not exceeding 18-20 students. Teachers offer both academically challenging curriculum and support services to students in need of extra assistance through the use of a learning specialist at each grade and a Boston College intern in each of our grade levels.
We were granted accreditation for early childhood education by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) in August of 2013.
What makes our school special:
• Pilot school: Parent and community voice on governing board to inform budgetary decisions
• Before-school, after-school and grant-funded adult education programming
• Friday arts program consisting of professional arts opportunities for all students every Friday morning
• Playworks program for all students, full-time school nurse, on-site health clinic, full-time school counselor, and full-time City Connects coordinator.
• Five school wide events per year to connect families to student learning
• Thirty-five major partners to provide services in all domains -health, social emotional, academic and arts
• Facilities: auditorium, playground and outdoor classroom, science and computer labs, music and art rooms, gymnasium, cafeteria
Special academic programs:
• Fully inclusive school for all students in all grades
• Universities: Harvard, Boston College, Lesley, Simmons and Boston University.
• Arts: Young Audiences of Massachusetts, ARCK, MFA, BPO, Boston Ballet and Boston String
• Boston Partners in Education, YMCA of Greater Boston and YWCA, America SCORES Boston soccer, Big Sisters
• Wellness: City Connects, Brighton Allston Mental Health, Joseph Smith Community Health Center, and Playworks
• Academic: Read Boston, Steppingstone Academy, Women’s Table, Cradles to Crayons
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school, from 7:30 am: available for all students; free. Run by our full-time student interns, the program focuses on engaging clubs to get students ready to learn by 8:30 am each day.
• After school, 2:30-6:00 pm, provided in collaboration with YMCA of Greater Boston. Weekly fee; scholarships and reduced rates available. High quality programming provides academic, social and emotional development. America SCORES Boston soccer and writing program is available for middle school students in the fall and spring, $25 per season per student.