At Excel, we take pride in our commitment to academic excellence promoting intellectual competence, creative expression, and responsible citizenship. Excel implements programs and curriculum that enable our students to rise to their potential and achieve success. As a mid-size comprehensive school, we are able to offer students a variety of honors and AP courses, dual enrollment opportunities, interesting electives such as psychology and urban dance, two foreign language options, and extra supports to meet our academic expectations while still meeting the needs of the individual student.
From the ninth grade summer orientation to the June graduation four years later, we provide an outstanding college preparatory program designed to develop students' individual potential while meeting the entrance requirements of America’s most competitive colleges. We stress that consistent effort and hard work are the keys to success. Our staff is organized into teams that meet regularly to monitor student progress and share successful strategies. Each team works with a dean of students and guidance counselor and together they provide a network of supports to students and their families and advise them about preparing for and getting into college.
Excel’s rigorous program of studies contains a full complement of courses. Each discipline offers an advanced placement course with additional honors and enrichment courses such as African American Music, Cinema Classics, Forensics, Urban Dance, and Journalism. Excel’s courses in technology cover Microsoft Office, Web design, Webmaster, and Digital Art. We have three fully equipped computer labs and three mobile computer labs which enable the integration of technology into all of our courses. Technology use is encouraged in every content area through the use of SMART Boards and ipads. While improving students English and Math skills is important, we put a strong emphasis on the higher order thinking and writing skills that all students need in order to compete in our global economy. We offer after-school academic supports and clubs to encourage students to stay after school. We also offer safety nets, such as ATP, and SAT prep class for struggling students. We know that our students, their families, and the faculty share a commitment to excellence which ultimately results in graduating students prepared for college and the workforce.
• A college preparatory school
• A mid-size school that fosters high academic achievement and creative expression
• Winner of the 2007 EdVestors/Thomas W. Payzant School on the Move Prize as the most improved school in the district
• Honors and Advanced Placement courses in each discipline
• Technology courses including Microsoft Office, web design, webmaster and digital art
• Several computer labs, mobile computer labs that travel to classrooms, and iPads
• Internships at the Federal Reserve Bank and Vertex Pharmaceuticals
• In-house Course Recovery Program, an opportunity for juniors and seniors to make up failed courses after school in order to graduate
• Full time Family and Student Outreach Coordinator who works closely with families
• Full time Community Relations Manager to manage all partnerships and community relationships
• After school opportunities: Homework Club, MCAS prep, SAT prep, National Honor Society, art, chorus, and robotics
• Strong school partners: Boston Debate League, Boston Private Industry Council, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, UMass Boston, and Vertex Pharmaceuticals.