Monday, May 20, 2013
English High School
144 McBride StreetJamaica Plain, MA 02130
- The oldest public high school in the United States, founded in 1821
- Organized into two small learning communities offering internships and projects based on student interests
- Extensive extracurricular programs, including an award-winning student magazine, dramatic productions, sports, Model United Nations, and many other clubs
- Advanced Placement courses in English, calculus, biology, U. S. government, U. S. history, and Spanish
- Comprehensive English Language Learning (ELL) program that includes literacy courses in Spanish
- Saturday MCAS tutoring sessions
- Parent coordinator who communicates directly with families, hosts monthly parent meetings, and connects to community resources
- On-site health center that meets the medical and emotional needs of our students and holds parent seminars
- Student Support Team that provides academic assistance and counseling
- School partners: Boston College, Boston University, Brookside Community Health Center, Harvard Graduate School of Education, Simmons College, Suffolk University, State Street Bank, Summer Search, and the Boston Private Industry Council.
- This school is a member of the Boston Inclusive Schools Network.
The network links together the BPS schools offering and developing expanded inclusive opportunities for students with disabilities with technical assistance and support from Urban Special Education Leadership Collaborative at Education Development Center in Waltham.