Ellis Elementary School
The David A. Ellis uses small group instruction and team teaching to prepare our students for educational success. We focus on open-response questions, writing across the curriculum, critical thinking skills, and provide extra time on instructional tasks to improve our students’ academic performance on the MCAS and formative assessments.
We offer an exploratory science lab with a certified science instructor. Through the Reading Is Fundamental program, we offer free books to all students. We enhance student learning through interactive field trips. We have a computer lab with a full-time instructor. Our school also offers physical education classes. We provide students with before and after school programs K1 -5th grade. We are also implementing the Leader in Me program which is a process for school-wide transformation that will enhance all student’s life skills and workforce readiness while creating a safe and vibrant learning community.
What makes our school special:
• Shares its grounds with the African American Museum, providing opportunities to enrich our history and social studies curriculum
• Distinguished program for English language learners
• iPad computer classroom
• Exploratory science lab with certified science instructor, plus hands-on science experiences
• Distinguished program for English Language Learners
• Strong partnership with Citi Performing Arts Center
• Facilities: auditorium, library, science and computer labs, cafeteria, music room, outdoor classroom, gymnasium
* K-12 Pathway: Ellis 5th graders are guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Dearborn School, which is becoming a STEM (seicnce/technology/engineering/math) school for grades 6-12.
Special academic programs:
• Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) for students in K1-grade 5 (Spanish)
• Special education program, K1-grade 5: emotional impairment
• K0/K1 integrated classroom, where children with and without disabilities learn together
• Americas SCORES Boston soccer, Bird Street Community Center, Boston Ballet, Boston College, Wheelock College, City Sprouts, Imajine That, EdVestors, El-Shaddai Dental Associates PC, Franklin Covey Education Associates, National Center of African American Artists
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school, 7:00- 9:15: Bird Street Community Center.
• After school, 3:15 to 6:00: Bird St. Community Center, sliding fee scale for K2-grade 5 students; and the “Imajine That” program for K1 students.