Edwards Middle School is special because of our expanded learning time model, our skillful and caring faculty, and our extensive performing arts, athletic, and academic enrichment opportunities. We have a demanding academic program with extra help available for all.
We are the school of choice for students interested in extra academic support and the arts. Our arts curriculum includes instrumental and vocal music, theater, dance, and visual arts.
During our afternoon expanded learning time, all 6th graders participate in an exciting Citizen Schools program that offers a variety of apprenticeships and electives. All 7th and 8th grade students are enrolled in electives courses. Some of our most popular electives courses include stepping, musical theater, anime, football, soccer, swimming, and chorus.
Edwards Middle School students have rich middle-school experiences that ensure college and career readiness.
What makes our school special:
• Expanded learning time for all students, with an additional hour each day for academics targeted to individual student needs, to help them get better grades and succeed on important assessments like MCAS
• Talented teaching staff, dedicated to the safety and learning of every student
• Citizen Schools program for grade 6, with extensive academic support, enrichment, field trips, and leadership training
• Performing arts theme, with classes available in instrumental music, dance, musical theater, drumming, keyboarding and chorus
• Extensive enrichment activities for grades 7 and 8 students, including musical theater, community service, break dancing, swimming, tennis, fashion design, stepping, and much more
• Focus on good citizenship and character development, with student leadership and community service opportunities
• Acceleration Academy during February and April vacation providing academics and enrichment to selected students
• Athletic and competitive teams for basketball, cheerleading, football, soccer, and track
• Strong partnerships with Harvard University, Boston University, and Boston College, which bring teachers in training, counseling interns, and other volunteers to the school each year
• Algebra 1 for all 8th graders who are ready for high school level work
• School Climate Team highly focused on student safety, discipline, and positive student culture
* K-8 Pathway: Guaranteed assignment for students from the Adams, Bradley, Guild, Harvard/Kent, P. Kennedy, O’Donnell, and Otis.
Special academic programs:
• Extra support for students who are learning English through our ESL curriculum
• America SCORES Boston soccer, Bird Street Community Center, Boston Debate League, Citizen Schools, Sports Museum, Boston Partners in Education, EF Education, Charlestown Boys and Girls Club, Charlestown Community Center, Charlestown MGH Health Center, Arbour Hospital, Harvard University, Boston College, Boston University, National Center on Time and Learning
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school, from 7:00 am: morning gym and study hall activities.
• After school: All students stay until 4:15 Mondays-Thursdays. On Fridays students are dismissed at 11:40.