Clarence R. Edwards Middle School
Edwards Middle School is special because of our Expanded Day Program, our skillful and caring faculty, and our extensive performing arts and leadership opportunities. We have a demanding academic program with extra help available for all.
We are the school of choice for students interested in extra academic support and the arts. Our arts curriculum includes instrumental and vocal music, theater, dance, and visual arts. Our Expanded Day program allows us to offer extra academic help as well as a range of arts, sports, leadership, and enrichment activities.
- Expanded learning time for all students, with an additional hour each day for academics targeted to individual student needs, to help them earn higher grades and to succeed on important assessments
- Dedicated and talented teaching staff, dedicated to the safety and learning of every student
- Citizen Schools program for grade 6, with extensive academic support, enrichment, field trips, and leadership training
- Performing arts theme, with classes available in instrumental music, dance, musical theater, drumming, keyboarding and chorus
- Extensive enrichment activities for grades 7 and 8 students, including musical theater, community service, break dancing, swimming, tennis, fashion design, stepping, and much more
- Focus on good citizenship and character development, with student leadership and community service opportunities
- Acceleration Academy during February and April vacation providing academics and enrichment to selected students
- Daily planning time for our teacher teams
- Athletic and competitive teams for basketball, cheer leading, football, soccer, and track
- Strong partnerships with Harvard University, Boston University, and Boston College, which bring teachers in training, counseling interns, and other volunteers to the school each year
- Algebra 1 for 8th graders who are ready for high school level work
- School Climate Team highly focused on student safety, discipline, and positive student culture
Special academic programs:
- Guaranteed assignment for students from the Adams, Bradley, Guild, O’Donnell, Otis, P. J. Kennedy, and Alighieri Montessori
- Extra support for students who are learning English through our ESL curriculum
Before and after school programs in our building:
- America SCORES Boston soccer, Bird Street Community Center, Boston Debate League, Citizen Schools, Sports Museum, Boston Partners in Education, EF Education, Charlestown Boys and Girls Club, Charlestown Community Center, Charlestown MGH Health Center, Arbour Hospital, Harvard University, Boston College, Boston University, National Center on Time and Learning.
- Before school, from 7:00 am: morning gym and study hall activities.
- After school: all students stay until 4:15 Mondays-Thursdays. On Fridays students are dismissed at 11:40.