Sunday, December 8, 2013
Edwards Middle School
28 Walker StreetCharlestown, MA 02129
- Expanded learning time for all students, with an additional hour each day for academics targeted to individual student needs, to help them get better grades and succeed on MCAS
- Talented teaching staff, dedicated to the safety and learning of every student
- Citizen Schools program for grade 6, with extensive academic support, enrichment, field trips, and leadership training
- Performing arts theme, with classes available in instrumental music, dance, theater, song writing, rock band, recording, and chorus
- Extensive enrichment activities for grades 7 and 8 students, including musical theater, community service, break dancing, swimming, tennis, fashion design, stepping, band, art, girls’ and boys’ groups, and much more
- Focus on good citizenship and character development throughout the school, with student leadership and community service opportunities
- “MCAS Boot Camp Weeks” during February and April vacation providing academics and enrichment to selected students
- Teacher teams that have daily common planning time and are available to meet with families
- Athletic and competitive teams for basketball, cheerleading, football, soccer and track
- Strong partnerships with Harvard University, Boston University, and Boston College, which bring teachers in training and counselors in training to the school each year
- Additional school partnerships: Charlestown Community Center and Charlestown Boys and Girls Club.
- This school is a member of the Boston Inclusive Schools Network.
The network links together the BPS schools offering and developing expanded inclusive opportunities for students with disabilities with technical assistance and support from Urban Special Education Leadership Collaborative at Education Development Center in Waltham.