Dever Elementary School
The Dever Elementary School, also known as the Dever/McCormack Lower School, is dedicated to offering students a well-rounded educational experience designed to prepare them for life-long success. Through dual-language instuction, many students learn to read, write, listen, and speak fluently in both Spanish and English. In addition to great classroom teaching, we offer a wide range of special enrichment opportunities to students including engineering, music, art, dance, and physical education. We welcome all families into our friendly, bilingual community. We emphasize character development and strong values, and work to develop future leaders for our community.
At the Dever/McCormack Lower School, we focus on the educational success of every student. We have outstanding teachers in every classroom and an extended school day which allows us to accelerate academic learning and to provide additional enrichment opportunities.
We have a range of intervention services available to support struggling students. We carefully monitor classwork, assessments, behavior, and attendance to make sure that we identify problems early and work with students and families to ensure success.
Perhaps most importantly, our Spanish-English dual language program prepares our students for success in a diverse community and the global economy.
What makes our school special:
• Dual-language (Spanish-English) program K-5
• Extensive performing arts opportunties
• Library and technology classes
• Extended learning time
• Full time counseling and nursing services
• Partnerships with Boston Arts Academy, Boston Philharmonic, and Community Music Center of Boston
• Strong community connections with Harbor Point Development
• Welcoming bilingual environment
• Facilities: auditorium, library, playground and outdoor classroom, music and art rooms, cafeteria, gymnasium
* K-8 Pathway: Dever 5th graders are guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the McCormack Middle School.
Special academic programs:
• Special education classroom in each grade
• Dual-language English-Spanish program
• Boston Arts Academy - Strings Program, Boston College High School, Boston Philharmonic, City Connects, City Year, Community Music Center of Boston, Generations Inc, Playworks, UMass Boston, Wediko’s Children’s Services
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school: two outstanding programs starting at 8:00. BOKS focuses on student health and physical activity. ALERTA is an academic program focused on developing outstanding academic skills and bilingual literacy. Before school programs are staffed by City Year and Dever/McCormack staff members.
• After school: Extended school day for all students until 4:15 pm. In addition, we have after school programs that include a girls’ groups, several athletic teams, and Playworks Junior Coaches program.