Dearborn STEM Academy
Dearborn STEM Academy is a science/technology/engineering/math (STEM) focused school for grades 6-12 preparing students for early college access.
The vision of our school is to equip our students with skills and knowledge to be successful in high school and beyond. Dearborn students will be able to:
- Command their academic, professional, and personal futures
- Receive challenging, rigorous, relevant, innovative curricula that respond to their individual needs
- Develop their voices as scholars, demonstrating respect, responsibility, and citizenship
- Master the skills and knowledge they need to achieve personal and academic excellence.
Dearborn offers a small, personalized learning environment. It is our belief that students need personal attention at all levels of education. Because our school is small, every student will be known, seen and valued by peers and a caring faculty and staff. Students will have multiple channels to express their interests and needs through mentoring, tutoring, internships, externships, and more.
- Boston’s first grade 6-12 Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) school, preparing our students for the ever-evolving landscape of college, career and life opportunities
- Managed in partnership with BPE (formerly Boston Plan for Excellence/Boston Teacher Residency) as a teaching academy
- Rigorous curriculum aligned with MassCore to ensure all students have the requirements needed to graduate and be prepared for college
- Computer science curriculum and science-focused electives
- Advisory program to build skills and awareness necessary for thoughtful citizenship
- Data-driven instruction
- Individualized learning plans for every student
- Opportunities to participate in internships with local organizations, companies, hospitals, public service and more
- Student Council
- Sports with Burke High School teams
- Temporarily located at Burke High School, 4th floor, while a new, state-of-the-art building is planned
- Guaranteed admission to grade 6 for students attending J. F. Kennedy, Ellis, Mason, Winthrop, and Dudley Neighborhood Charter schools
Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative, Fidelity, Greater Boston Interfaith Organization, Roxbury Presbyterian Church/Social Impact Center, Trinity Church of Boston, Boston Celtics, Northeastern University, UMass Boston, Bridgewater State University, Raytheon
Before and after school programs in our building:
- After school, 2:30-4:30 pm: City Year and MathPOWER. Our goal is to offer a positive and safe environment where members can become responsible citizens and leaders. The Dearborn works closely with community partners to provide innovative programming.
- Other after school programs: Young Entrepreneurs, intramural sports, Catholic Charities St. Peter’s Afterschool Program, 10 Boys Initiative, Roxbury Youth Orchestra