Friday, May 24, 2013
Burke High School
60 Washington St.Dorchester, MA 02121
- Rigorous academic program: schoolwide instructional focus on literacy across the curriculum using AVID strategies
- State-of-the-art facilities, completely renovated in 2008
- Advanced Placement courses in chemistry, calculus, English literature and composition, and U. S. history
- Elective courses in dance, fine arts, and theater
- SES tutoring, PULSE, Machine Science, Debate Team, and Credit Recovery after school program
- College and Career Center with a Boston Private Industry Council full-time career specialist
- Family-friendly environment, with a family center staffed with a Family and Community Outreach
- Coordinator to support school-parent partnerships, parent information, and outreach
- Student support services: guidance, health center, counseling, adolescent parenting, and financial aid assistance
- After-school tutoring, enrichment, and credited courses, including SAT and MCAS test preparation
- Active partnership with UMass Boston, providing Urban Scholars, Admission Guaranteed Program, and staff professional development support
- Dual enrollment available at Benjamin Franklin, Bunker Hill and Roxbury community colleges
- Ignition Peer Mentoring program
- Community Learning Initiative Partnership with Boston Center for Youth & Families and the Boston Public Library.
- This school is a member of the Boston Inclusive Schools Network.
The network links together the BPS schools offering and developing expanded inclusive opportunities for students with disabilities with technical assistance and support from Urban Special Education Leadership Collaborative at Education Development Center in Waltham.