Thursday, December 12, 2013
Boston International High School
100 Maxwell St.Dorchester, MA 02124
- A small school for students in grades 9–12 who are not yet proficient in English language: Our students represent more than 25 different countries, and many have recently arrived in the United States
- Academic success measured by advanced levels of ESL development (4, 5) and proficient/advanced on the MCAS assessments
- ESL programs provide strong support for struggling English language speakers
- Academic placements based on regular formative assessments in Math, English and ESL
- Brand new biology and chemistry labs providing hands-on learning for both subjects
- Newcomers Academy, a program for newly-arrived immigrants of high school age who do not speak English, especially those with gaps in their schooling due to circumstances such as war or a shortage of teachers in their region
- Well-rounded athletics programs for boys and girls offering soccer, volleyball, basketball, and baseball
- After school tutoring provided by BIHS as well as Sociedad Latina and Haitian Youth and Family Services.
School partners: Boston College, Boston Police: Police Explorers Program, Bottom Line College Program, Comprehensive School Age Parenting Program, Let’s Get Ready SAT Prep Program, RYSE Harvard University, UMass Boston TAG and dual enrollment, Urbano Art Program, Write Boston
- Special admission procedure: Students are assigned based on results of an English language placement test. For information, call the Welcome Center Roxbury location at 617-635-9010.
BPS Report on Teaching & Learning (School Report Card):