UP Academy Charter School of Dorchester is a new, tuition-free, college preparatory public elementary charter school run by the non-profit Unlocking Potential, modeled on the highest-performing urban public schools in the U.S. We opened our doors in August 2013 with grades K1-5 and will add one grade per year to serve grades K1-8 by fall 2016.
UP Academy Dorchester aims to ensure that all students will acquire the knowledge, skills, and strength of character necessary to succeed on the path to and through college. Our rigorous, standards-based curriculum and instruction emphasizes math and reading. Our extended school year and day is designed to maximize instructional time in core subjects and provide opportunities for arts and fitness education.
Every class and each assignment is designed to prepare students for success at UP Academy Dorchester, in high school, and beyond. Our school provides supports for all learners, including students with special needs and English Language Learners. We will work relentlessly to create and maintain a positive school culture that celebrates our students’ achievements and fosters a true love for learning.
What makes our school special:
• One-on-one and small group support during the school day and after school homework support as needed
• Relentlessly high, consistent academic and behavioral expectations for students, families, and staff, fostering a safe, peaceful learning environment
• Character education curriculum, reinforced by regular assemblies to foster and build community
• Daily enrichment in the arts and physical fitness
• Regular opportunities for family engagement and input
• Lottery-based enrollment open to all students in the district;
for application and additional information, visit upacademydorchester.org
Special academic programs:
• Comprehensive supports for all students, including special education students and English language learners
• Unlocking Potential, Boston Cares, Boys & Girls Club, Fidelity Investments, Imajine That!, Massachusetts College of Art and Design
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school: Breakfast served from 7:15-7:45 am daily.• After school; activities until 6 pm Monday-Friday.