UP Academy is a high-performing public, tuition-free, college preparatory middle school. Our school aims to ensure all students acquire the knowledge, skills, and strength of character necessary to succeed on the path to college and to achieve their full potential. Our school program is modeled on the highest-performing urban public schools in the United States. Our founding team believes that any student can rapidly approach grade-level proficiency when exposed to a structured and joyful academic environment.
Students take two hours of math and English per day and have a 50 minute study hall in the afternoon. During this period they receive homework help or small group tutoring. We also have additional homework help during our after school program.
What makes our school special:
• A tuition-free, college preparatory public middle school (grades 6-8) run by the non-profit Unlocking Potential, modeled on the highest-performing urban public schools in the U.S.
• Aims to ensure all students acquire the knowledge, skills, and strength of character necessary to succeed on the path to college and to achieve their full potential
• Rigorous, standards-based curriculum and instruction emphasizing math and reading
• Relentlessly high, consistent academic and behavioral expectations for all stakeholders, including students, families, and staff
• Network of academic and other supports in place for all students, including English language learners and students with disabilities
• Open lines of communication between school and family: reports on student progress and performance are sent home each week
• Enrichment program on Fridays for all students and Saturday Math Academy option for some students
• ISEE and SSAT prep for 8th grade students
• Full-time high school placement manager
• Facilities: auditorium, science and computer labs, music and art rooms, gymnasium
Special academic programs:
• Six special education classrooms
• Achievement Network, Boston Cares, Coaching for Change/Community Rowing. Eliot School, Improv Asylum, Metro Lacrosse, South Boston Boys and Girls Club, South Boston Yoga, Sportsmen’s Tennis & Enrichment Center
Before and after school programs in our building:
• After school: Extended day Mon.-Thurs. to 4:20 pm;
Friday to 2:20 pm• Saturday Math Club, 9:30 am-12:00 pm