School Leadership teams are responsible for ensuring high quality instruction and a supportive learning environment for all students in the Boston Public Schools. School leadership opportunities include Headmasters, Principals, Assistant Principals, Assistant Headmasters, Program Directors and Directors of Instruction.
High School Headmaster, Middle School Principal, K-8 School Principal and Elementary Principal positions are posted on the BPS Career Center by January of each year.
How to Apply
- Go to The Career Center
- Complete an online profile (you can start by clicking on Apply Now without Attaching a Job)
- Upload your resume, cover letter, essay*, and contact information for 3 references as ONE document.
- You may apply for one of four positions (High School Headmaster, Middle School Principal, K-8 School Principal and Elementary School Principal) after you complete a profile. NOTE: Be sure your application material is complete and you have met the minimum requirements.
- Current Boston Public Schools employees should apply online through The Hub.
Screening and Selection Process
After submitting your online application, candidates are screened for the minimum requirements.
- Masters Degree
- Three Years teaching experience
- Massachusetts Principal/Assistant Principal licensure (by time of appointment)
Candidates selected to advance in the process will be invited to a pre-screening session. Leading candidates will then be invited to continue in the screening process.
Other School-Based Administrative Positions
All positions are posted on the BPS Career Center as vacancies arise.
There are a number of school-based and central administrative positions, such as Assistant Principal, Assistant Headmaster, Program Director and Director of Instruction, that are represented by the Boston Association of School Administrators and Supervisors (BASAS). Positions for the upcoming school year are generally posted throughout the winter and spring. All Boston Public Schools administrators are required to have the necessary administrative certification for the appropriate school level and content area. For these school-based and central administrative positions please follow the instructions for each specific posting for which you are applying.