Register for Boston Public Schools
Welcome to Boston Public Schools Registration. Pre-registration for the 2014-15 school year will begin in mid-December.
These pages are for parents and guardians who wish to register their children for school and BPS families who are ready to move on to their next school. BPS Registration, Transfers, and Changes of Address happen at Welcome Centers in Dorchester, Roxbury, Roslindale and at the part-time satellite office in East Boston. We hope you find our webpages to be helpful and informative.
NOTE: The Welcome Centers will be closed for professional development on Wednesday, November 27, 2013.
In observance of the Thanksgiving holiday all BPS offices and schools will be closed on Thursday, 11/28/13 and Friday, 11/29/13.
THE NEW HOME BASED ASSIGNMENT PLAN
The Boston School Committee approved last spring a new Home-Based student assignment policy that will go into effect for the 2014-15 school year. Please note that current students don’t have to change schools. Sibling preference remains a priority, and younger siblings of current students will be able to select the school that their older sibling already attends, regardless of where that school is located.
The Home Based plan:
- Increases the chances that families will receive one of their top school choices
- Increases equitable access to quality schools overall
- Ensures every incoming kindergarten child has quality schools from which to choose
- Cuts the average distance a child travels to school by 40 percent
- Offers sibling priority to help brothers and sisters attend the same school
- Offers additional, citywide choices for all families and connects elementary schools to middle schools through voluntary pathways.
In the new policy, families will have access to all schools located within one mile of their home, all citywide schools, and as needed additional schools to ensure capacity and provide access to unique programming and high quality schools.
- To learn how the Home Based Assignment Plan works, visit our assignment policy page. You may also download a one-page summary in English, Spanish, Cape Verdean Creole, Chinese, Haitian Creole, Portuguese, Somali or Vietnamese.
- To view your customized list of schools visit www.discoverbps.org.
BPS will be hosting a total of 24 information sessions across the city. During the sessions more details will be provided about the new assignment plan which is scheduled to be implemented during the 2014-2015 school year. All sessions will be open to the public and are conveniently located near public transportation. Please click here to find an information session near you.
- Registration for School Year 2013-2014 is on-going; please register as soon as possible
- Wait lists for the current year will expire on January 31, 2013
- Pre-registration begins on December 15, 2013 (you must still visit a Center to complete registration)
- Live registration for pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, grades 6 and 9 is January 6-31, 2014. See the schedule.
- All other grades begin registration February 5, 2014.
New to Boston Public Schools?
BPS serves Boston families with a broad array of schools for learners from pre-kindergarten through adult education. Our registration process allows families to apply for schools of their choosing and, starting with registration for School Year 2014 will bring those schools closer to home than they've been for decades. If you are applying for school for the current year, please call a Welcome Center to learn how the current plan still works.
For more about our new Home Based Assignment policy, please see the Student Assignment Policy page.
Prepare for your 2014 School Choice and Registration process using these resources:
- The BPS Registration Process: Step-by-Step
- Resources for Choosing Schools
- Required Documents for BPS Registration
- Online Pre-Registration
- BPS Showcase of Schools
- BPS School Preview Activities and When to Register
Currently enrolled in BPS?
Any of our Welcome Centers can assist BPS families with transfer requests to another BPS school during the school year or for the next school year. BPS students who are finishing the highest grade at their current school will receive an Application for Assignment Form from their school to choose new schools for the next phase of their education with BPS.
The new plan also guarantees 5th grade students a seat in a 6th grade program. Learn more about our middle school pathways here.
Our BPS Welcome Centers are available to answer your questions and to assist you by phone and in-person:
BPS Welcome Center Dorchester
BPS Welcome Center Roxbury
BPS Welcome Center Roslindale
- Centers are open on school days, 8:30a.m. to 5:00p.m, except Wednesdays
- Wednesday hours: 12:00p.m. to 7:00p.m.
- Centers are closed on federal, state, and city holidays
- Please note that all of our Welcome Centers are closed June 30 - July 11 for summer recess. From July 14 to August 1, only the Welcome Center Roxbury location will be open during regular hours while annual repairs and maintenance are being done to the other sites. The Roslindale and Dorchester sites will re-open August 4. After re-opening, our regular office hours will resume: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM, Wednesdays, 12:00 to 7:00 PM. The East Boston Satellite will re-open August 26 through September 12, on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and on Wednesdays, 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
BPS Welcome Center East Boston Satellite
312 Border St, East Boston (south side of Umana Academy)
Help available in English and Spanish
School Year 2013-2014
- Open Tuesdays, 8:30a.m. - 5:00p.m.
Looking for a Charter School?
BPS offers In-District Charter, Innovation, and Pilot School Choices to Boston Families. If you are looking for other Charter Schools in the metro Boston area that are not operated by Boston Public Schools, please visit the following websites:
We are also proud to participate in the Boston District-Charter School Compact, which has launched bostonschoolshub.org. This website allows families to see and explore the many BPS, Charter and Catholic school options in their area.
Supporting families with BPS Registration is a part of the mission of the Office of Welcome Services. Our office includes Countdown to Kindergarten, the Welcome Centers, and Transition Support for middle school and high school.