Parent Information Centers and school start-up information
In an effort to strengthen communications with parents, the Boston Public Schools have reorganized the Parent Resource Centers and are gearing up to open the centers on August 5. The centers are available to all parents who need help or who have questions about the Boston Public Schools.
Also, parents who have not yet registered their children for school can do so at their local Family Resource Center. When registering, parents should bring the following documents with them:
- Two pre-printed proofs of address.
- Up-to-date medical and immunization records.
If registering for kindergarten or grade 1, a birth certificate is also required.
The location of the three Family Resource Centers are:
- North Zone Family FRC and Multilingual Communication & Placement Center, 55 Malcolm X Blvd. (New Dudley St.) in the Madison Park High School complex near the Roxbury Crossing MBTA station, 617-635-9010. Please note that this is a new location for the North Zone FRC. There is no longer a center at 26 Court St.
- East Zone FRC, 1216 Dorchester Ave. behind Burger King, 617-635-8015.
- West Zone FRC, 515 Hyde Park Ave. near Cummins Highway, 617-635-8040.
During the regular School Calendar Year each Family Resource Center will be open Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and one night a week they will be open 9AM to 7PM:
- East Zone Office:
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday ... 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Tuesday ...... 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday ...... 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Wednesday ...... 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday ... 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Thursday ...... 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM
School opens for Boston Public Schools students on Wednesday, September 4. This is a full day of school for grades 1-12. Lunch will be served in all schools.
The first day of kindergarten is Monday, September 9.
Special education early childhood classes begin on September 11.
A School Hot Line for Boston Public Schools families will operate Monday-Friday from August 26-30, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and from September 3-13 from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. The number is 617-635-9046. Hot Line operators can provide information on school assignments, hours, transfers, the calendar, waiting lists, transportation, after-school programs, and school policies.
For general information, visit the school department's Web site, www.bostonpublicschools.org.
Please note that students who do not report to school within 8 days of school opening-by September 13 for grades 1-12 and by September 18 for kindergarten-will automatically lose their school assignment. Students who are discharged from the system are taken off all waiting lists.
Before and after-school programs: Parents United for Child Care publishes a Guide to Before and After School Programs Serving the Boston Public Schools. It is available from PUCC, 617-426-8288 and at Boston Public Schools Family Resource Centers.