Advanced Work Class (AWC)
About Advanced Work Class
Advanced Work Class (AWC) is a full-time program in the Boston Public Schools that provides an accelerated academic curriculum for students in grades 4, 5 and 6. Students are expected to complete more school work and more home study. Student participation is by invitation only and is based solely on the student’s scores on an eligibility test. BPS will administer the TerraNova, third edition, to determine eligibility for the AWC program and the SUPERA test to determine eligibility for the Spanish AWC program.
For current Boston Public Schools students:
• All Boston Public Schools students in grades 3, 4 and 5 are tested for eligibility for AWC in late September or early October at their school. Spanish-speaking bilingual students are tested in their native language.
• Students eligible for the AWC program will receive notifications in the mail in January, 2013.
• In January (for sixth grade applicants) and February (for fourth and fifth grade applicants), students will receive an application at their school to make choices for the AWC program. Families must complete the application and return it to the student's current school for processing. Families interested in the AWC program must select the school option that states AWC (for example, "Murphy AWC").
• Students will be notified in mid-March (grade six applicants) or late April (grade 4 and 5 applicants) of their school assignments.
For students not currently enrolled in the Boston Public Schools:
• Boston students currently attending Private, Parochial, or Charter Schools may register to take the eligibility exam free of charge. Please click the link below for the registration form.
• This year the eligibility exam will be offered on Saturday, October 13, 2012 at the Washington Irving Middle School in Roslindale. The deadline to register is Friday, October 5, 2012.
• Please note: In order to be considered for AWC, non-BPS students must take the TerraNova, third edition, eligibility exam offered by BPS, even if they already take a version of the TerraNova at their current school.
• In January (for sixth grade applicants) and February (for fourth and fifth grade applicants), students will receive an information packet at their home address to apply for the AWC program. Families should indicate their school choices in order of preference on the AWC application form. The completed AWC choice form and registration materials must be brought, along with proof of Boston residency documentation and immunization records, to the BPS Enrollment Planning & Support at 26 Court Street.
• Student notification schedule is the same as listed above for current BPS families.
For more information
For more information about the application and enrollment process, please contact Maria Vieira, Enrollment Planning & Support, at 617-635-9512.