Advanced Work Class (AWC) is a full-time program in the Boston Public Schools that provides an accelerated academic curriculum for students in grades 4, 5 and 6. Students are expected to complete more school work and more home study. Student participation is by invitation only and is based solely on the student’s scores on the TerraNova, third edition, eligibility exam.
The Excellence for All initiative will be piloted in the 2016-17 school year in a select group of BPS schools, AWC program schools and non-AWC program schools, to expand access to rigorous curriculum and enrichment experiences for students in grade 4 classrooms.
For current Boston Public Schools students:
- All Boston Public Schools students in grades 3, 4 and 5 are tested for eligibility for AWC in late September or early October at their school.
- All students will receive test results from their current school in early January, 2017. Students invited to the AWC program will receive an additional notification.
- In January 2017, AWC invited students will receive a school choice form to apply for the AWC program. Families must complete the application and select the school option that states AWC (for example, "Murphy AWC").
- Students will be notified of their school assignments in the Spring.
For students not currently enrolled in the Boston Public Schools:
- Boston students currently attending private, parochial, or charter schools may register to take the eligibility exam free of charge on Saturday, October 15, 2016, 8:00 AM, at the Irving Middle School in Roslindale.
- Special accommodations testing is available for students who are unable to take the exam under standard conditions because of a documented learning difference, physical disability, or language ability. Registration materials are available by clicking the link below.
Testing with Accommodations
- The TerraNova, third edition, eligibility exam will be offered on Saturday, October 15, 2016 at the Washington Irving Middle School in Roslindale. The registration deadline is Friday, September 23.
- Students must take the TerraNova, third edition, eligibility exam offered by BPS to apply for the AWC program, even if they have already taken a version of the TerraNova at their current school.
- All students will receive test results at the home address in early January, 2017. Students invited to the AWC program will receive an additional notification.
- In January 2017, AWC invited students will receive an information packet at their home address to apply for the AWC program.
- Student notification schedule is the same as listed above for current BPS families.
Special accommodation testing is available for students who are unable to take the TerraNova under standard conditions because of a documented learning difference, physical disability or language ability. To apply for a special accommodation due to a physical or learning disability, the parent or guardian must submit a request form and a copy of the student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan.
To apply for testing accommodations for English Language Learners (ELLs), the parent or guardian must submit a request form and the student will be required to take an English Proficiency Test the week of October 3-7, 2016 to determine eligibility. The ELL accommodation will include the use of an approved word-to-word dictionary and extended time.
To ensure the use of the word-to-word bilingual dictionary, please bring your own copy which is subject to inspection by the BPS. Approved bilingual dictionaries are limited to those that provide word-to-word translations and do not include definitions. Parents may purchase a dictionary from the following list of authorized distributors:
Bilingual Dictionaries Inc.
Hippocrene Books, Inc.
Please note that all special accommodations testing will take place on Saturday, October 22, 2016 at the Washington Irving Middle School in Roslindale. Registration forms and special accommodation requests must be submitted by Friday, September 23, 2016. Please send the registration form, home language survey, and special accommodation request to:
AWC Testing/Non-BPS Students
Office of Data and Accountability
Boston Public Schools
2300 Washington Street
Roxbury, MA 02119