Alfreda J. Harris
September 8, 1993
Current Term Expires:
January 5, 2015
January 7, 2013
Consultant, Legacy Consultants
- Attended Roxbury Community College
- Former Deputy Commissioner of Boston Parks & Recreation Department
- Member, Boston Police Athletic Activity Board
- Winner, Mayor's Lifetime Achievement Award
- Inducted into the New England Sports Hall of Fame
- Inducted into the National Basketball Hall of Fame, 2010
- Project Director, Harvard School of Public Health, "Play Across Boston"
- Project Director, Northeastern University, "Sport in Society"
- Recipient of Boston Municipal Research Bureau Henry L. Shattuck Award for Public Service and inductee in WCVB's Good Sports Hall of Fame
- Former Co-Chair of the BPS Student Assignment Task Force
- Former Chair of the BPS Sports and Physical Fitness Task Force
- Founder and former Administrative Coordinator of the Shelburne Recreation Center
- Founder of Women's Boston Neighborhood Basketball League/BNBL and of the Boston Shoot-Out Basketball Tournament
- Former Head Women's Basketball Coach at the University of Massachusetts/Boston, Roxbury Community College, and Emerson College
- Former member of the Mayor's Blue Ribbon Commission
- Member of the National Recreation and Park Association, Massachusetts Recreation and Park Society, American Association for Health, Physical Education and Recreation, the National Black Recreation and Park Association, the National Basketball Coaches Association, and Blacks in Government
- National Junior College Athletic Association coach of the year from 1981-1986
Many of Ms. Harris's awards are on display at the Shelburne Community Center. The gymansium at the facility is the Alfreda Ramsey Harris Gymnasium.
Send an email to Ms. Harris.