The John F. Kennedy School aspires to prepare its students to meet the high demands of 21st century standards. We expect our students to be sociable, creative thinkers, skilled problem solvers, effective communicators, and technology versed. They will be active, confident, disciplined, respectful, kind and honest — they will be the best they can be!
The J. F. Kennedy community includes a dedicated staff, supportive families, and motivated students. Our curriculum supports strong literacy and math skills. We seek to establish continuous integration of three core components: quality instruction, data driven decision making, and deep partnerships with families and community agencies to ensure that students receive the time, quality instruction and social-emotional support needed to achieve proficiency.
The JFK has full-time instructors in science, technology, math and physical education. In addition, all students take part in physical education and activities that promote health and wellness.
We are also becoming the first K-5 STEM education Innovation school in BPS!
What makes our school special:
- Safe, nurturing, child-centered environment with outstanding staff who are engaged in every aspect of student learning
- Smartboards in all classrooms to allow teachers to record their instruction and post the material for review by students at a later time
- Open Circle, a social and emotional learning program for children in K-grade 5
- Full-time instructors in science, math, computer, and physical education
- Weekly parent breakfast group and information sessions about educational issues
- Programs focusing on increasing the amount and quality of our students’ reading
- Student teachers from Boston College and Wheelock College and interns
- Spacious gymnasium and auditorium
- K-8 Pathway: J. F. Kennedy 5th graders are guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Curley K-8 Upper School.
Special academic programs:
- Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) for English Language learners
- Boston College City Connect, Boston Police/Area E13, Martha Eliot Health Center, City Year, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, Bird Street Community Center, Lesley University, America SCORES Boston soccer, Playworks (recess and class game time), ReadBoston, Wheelock College
Before and after school programs in our building:
- After school: grades 1-2, homework help, recreation; America SCORES soccer and writing for grades 3-5; dance for grade 5; City year for grades 3-5
- American Learners for grades 1-2. Other seasonal activities in science, robotics and sewing.