J. F. Kennedy Elementary School
The John F. Kennedy School is an Innovation School that aspires to prepare its students to meet the high demands of 21st century standards. We expect our students to be sociable, creative thinkers, skilled problem solvers, effective communicators, and technology versed. They will be active, confident, disciplined, respectful, kind and honest — they will be the best they can be!
The John F. Kennedy School will develop a holistic approach to learning with thinking embedded in the Engineering Design Process (EDP), STEM incorporated into the curriculum, and integrated content. With this educational approach, students will become flexible and creative thinkers who persevere with any challenge presented before them.
The John F. Kennedy community includes a dedicated staff, supportive families, and motivated students. Our curriculum supports strong literacy and math skills. We seek to establish continuous integration of three core components: quality instruction, data driven decision making, and deep partnerships with families and community agencies to ensure that students receive the time, quality instruction and social-emotional support needed to achieve proficiency.
- Safe, nurturing, child-centered environment with outstanding staff who are engaged in every aspect of student learning
- Smartboards in all classrooms to allow teachers to record their instruction and post the material for review by students at a later time.
- Open Circle, a high quality social and emotional learning program for grades K-5 children
- Full-time instructors in science, engineering, computer, and physical education
- Weekly parent breakfast group and informational sessions about educational issues
- Reading Is Fundamental programs, focusing on increasing the amount and quality of our students’ reading
- Student teachers from Wheelock College and interns
- Spacious gymnasium and auditorium
Special academic programs:
- Guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Curley K-8 School
- Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) for English Language learners
After school programs in our building:
- Boston College City Connects, Boston Police/Area E13, Martha Eliot Health Center, City Year, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, Bird Street Community Center, Lesley University, ReadBoston, Wheelock College, Playworks recess and game time
- Homework help and recreation for grades 1-2; America SCORES soccer and writing for grades 3-5; dance for grade 5; City Year for grades 3-5; American Learners for grades 1-2. Other seasonal activities in science, robotics and sewing.